Posted July 22, 2014
PROJECT TITLE: Goodbye, Helen
CATEGORY: Short Film
DISTRIBUTION: Festival circuit
WRITER: Samantha Woods
DIRECTOR: Samantha Woods
SHOOTING SCHEDULE: late August-early September
SHOOTING LOCATION: Mobile, Alabama
The year is 1955. A young couple, Helen and Robert Murphy, are living their second year together as a married couple; Helen is pregnant. The young couple is not wealthy by any means, and they are struggling to get by. Robert is not happy in the marriage, as he feels suddenly very trapped. One day, Robert decides he can’t take it anymore. He tells Helen he is going to the supermarket for milk and never returns to her. As he walks out of her life, his last words to her are “Goodbye, Helen.” Helen is devastated, but she eventually moves on. She has her and Robert’s son and falls in love with another man, Michael. In two years, she and Michael are married, raising her son, and happy. Fifty seven years after that, in 2014, Helen is watching her young grandson practice with his Little League team in the neighborhood park. She begins to talk to an older man whose grandson is on the same team as hers. When the game is over, the grandsons run up to Helen and the man, exclaiming that they both have the same last name Murphy and “isn’t that cool?”. At once, Helen realizes the man she has been speaking to is her long-lost first husband, Robert. She hurries away with her grandson, promising to buy him ice cream, and Robert calls after her a second “Goodbye, Helen” as she walks out of his life just as he walked out of hers so long ago, both of them wondering what could have been.
CASTING THESE ROLES:
1. Helen Murphy: a slender, quiet woman with brown hair and pale skin, aged twenty.
2. Robert Murphy: a tall man with dark hair, serious eyes, and a hunger for adventure: aged twenty three.
3. Michael Connor: a good-humored man of average height with blond hair, aged twenty two.
4. Jackson Murphy: the son of Helen and Robert Murphy. He has dark hair like his parents and is one year old.
5. Older Helen: Helen, but older. She has gained weight and her hair has grayed.
6. Older Robert: Robert, but older. He has also gained weight and his hair has begun to recede and gray.
7. Ryan Murphy: Helen’s grandson, aged ten.
8. Dax Murphy: Robert’s grandson, aged ten.
OTHER COMPENSATION: Film credit, DVD copy, Snacks/beverages
EMAIL SUBMISSIONS TO: email@example.com
SUBMISSIONS TO INCLUDE: Headshot, Snapshot okay
SPECIAL NOTES FOR AUDITION:
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your headshots/ snapshots and the following details:
1. Name (first and last)
2. Phone number
4. Character you wish to portray
Once I receive your email I’ll let you know if we can set up a script reading.